A father's journal about his son and their adventures

Friday, November 6, 2009

Friday Night Lights

Last Friday I went to pick you up from school and you did one thing you have never before ....you asked me to sit with you and finish the book your teacher was reading out loud It was Scooby Doo, and a character in that sory, a little girl had lost her tooth and the Scooby Doo crew were helping her find itso they could give it to the Tooth Fairy. Usually you will run full throttle and jump into my arms. But this time you asked me to sit with you. I did and was really proud of you and was happy to be sitting with you. You are really taking to your schooling. When we read at night, I will never let you start another book until the one we are currently reading is finished..so that was real cool to see you do that at school to.

On the way home I see there will be a football game at J.C. High school. I asked some tailgaters who the Jay's are playing. That person said Francis Howell. Francis Howell was a school from St. Charles. They are in the same conference my high school was and you always ask to go so I decided it was the time. It was a wonderful day..temp was warm and Friday Night Lights were on....I called Papa Bill to see if he wanted to go , he said no, but Grandma Sherry said she was ordering pizza and for us to come over. The night just got a lil better. We went ate some pizza and left for the game. I pull up to the stadium and parking was outrages. It was a district championship game and it was almost sold out...luckily I know people. A friend of mine, Steve Lochead, lives across the street, I pulled up, he was tailgating and watching the game and drinking.... he flipped me off and I asked if I could park in his driveway...he said sure no problem as long as I have beer..I said no, I'm with Brock... as I was pulling you outta the car and he was like man he is getting big. I said this is his first HS football game..he said good luck. I smiled and shook his hand and his dad's and began our walk to the stadium across the street

As we are walking into the stadium this was our view... Its amazing how nice this field is. these players are really lucky to have something so nice to play on. Maybe some day you will find yourself on this field, battling for a district championship.
So being American and all we have to stop by concessions. I asked if you wanted a hot dog...you said yea..then no after you saw the popcorn. Then this nice girl took our picture, she said you were real cute but looked ornery. I smiled and said she should be a fortune teller..she said I knew you would say that...I just walked away that was a lil bit too weird for me..

We found a place to sit down low to the field and there was a boy sitting close so you decided to take you popcorn to him and sit there for a moment...then you decided it was bleacher climbing time and you said you would be back in a minute and for me to just sit there you will be right back :)


Score was 21 - zip. 1st quarter. Jays up big and I'm glad... Francis Howell was one of my big rivals in high school.


" You stay there daddy, I'll be right back".
And you did....You made a circle and jumped back to me. You were really liking this..You saw lots of kids there and eventually we would find them. I had to chase you through the flower garden but got you to show your muscles 1st.
Here we are with Dawson. His mom is friends with your mama and we sometimes hang out with him at the softball park. He is your buddy.

Then later we find the hill were all the younger kids are and you followed some girls around for awhile and showed off. One of em was Ashton, she is Dawson's sister and a friend of your sissy's

You rolling down the hill showing off your 3 yr old skills.
Upon landing... after a 30 ft roll :)
So we then thought we should go... we stayed until half time and we made our way out and told Steve thanks for the parking spot and you said you weren't tired yet and wanted to say hi to Marcus so we went over there and he was getting ready to go meet some friends but before we left we taught you how to golf a beer can.


We are home and outta the bath and as usual, we get out our books. Fox in Socks is a tough thing to read out loud but we laugh every time... its a tongue twister.



Just a random pic of Jerry that's on my wall.


Would you, could you, in a box?
Would you, could you, with a fox?



I love reading to you...and I love that you love to be read to.


Right before we turn out the lights...we will then tell some stories..if you are satisfied with the story you will roll over and ask me to scratch your back if not you will ask for another story....you like monster stories that always turn out to be where you befriend the monster and make him nice and share your toys with......



The next day I was to go play ball with Rodney Edwards. Rodney is a genuine person. He loves playing like I do and we often, later on in the year will go off and play in what we call a "Rum Dum" tourney. This tournament was just for fun and all the guys there were like us...It was projected to be a nice weekend and boy was it. We played 3 games.
Rod has two young girls. He also was to have a boy but he didn't make it. Knowing him, I know he was very hurt by that. I am not sure when his son went to Jesus but I do know when you are with me, and Rod is there, I can tell he must think about it..what father wouldn't. He is great friend and awesome father. He is a good guy as I am sure you will know by now as you are reading this.


Me and Rod throwin the ball around.

I asked this kid, prolly bout 9 or 10, if he would take pics, He is wearing the green Cards hat above and this is how I have these pics.. He did a great job, I can't remember his name but he sure was happy to be taking pics.

Your daddy squaring up the pitcher

Patiently waiting


Uh oh...heads up infield....WATCH YOUR LIPS!!!! There's a hot liner to left...could be extra bases....

#9 is diggin to first

Ohhhh he's going to 2nd....

He may be thinking bout 3rd...he is..... he's rounded 3rd now... he could go all the way.... and he does....inside the parker....he does it the hard way folks... high fives every where.

Yea thats right.



Water..I need water. Yea beer is fine.

Back on D-fence.


That kid took a creative pic...very nice.

Rod and I returning. It was a good day. You will be a part of a lot of these in the next couple years. Then I will be following you to your games for the next 20 something years.



No comments:

Post a Comment